Jul 18, 2016

Headlight System & Front Bumper Disassembly

Disassembly on the body continued the last couple days in the engine bay with the nose, headlights, front bumper brackets, etc.


The process overall was more obvious than the wiper system, but still I was careful again to take lots of pics as well as tag hoses & wires to document everything.  It slows down the process for sure, but will help me during reassembly.

I started with tagging each vac hose and electrical connection for the headlights before unplugging them...
LH headlight vac hose routing
tagged wiring harness & vac hoses now detached


Then I moved on to removing the front bumper and its brackets that were still attached....





Finally, I easily removed the side marker lights and front grills.  A pic of everything out of the nose...


I'll send off the front bumper cross member support and brackets for powdercoat to match the frame.  For headlights, the plan to is to do away with the vacuum system and convert it to electric.  I plan on converting the vacuum system for the windshield wipers to electric as well, but more on that later since I have lots more body disassembly to do, etc.  Eventually, I'll have to decide what to do with the grills and bumper itself.  Rechroming bumpers is going to be pricey for sure, but maybe I can get away with a polishing or something?  They need to look awesome when completed though since they are a noteworthy design feature of this '72, the last year for chrome front & rear bumpers.

With everything out of the nose, I shored up my body dolly nose support.  This should do the trick I think...

... and with everything out of the nose, I could easily inspect the fiberglass.  I have some suspicious areas on the inside for sure.  Can't wait to see what they look on the outside after I strip the paint!

LH headlight area

LH wheel well

RH headlight area

RH wheel well

No comments:

Post a Comment