Jun 27, 2015

Static & Dynamic Compression Ratio Spreadsheet

The rear suspension is on hold for the moment while I wait on expert help with the trailing arms... I'll post about that later... so meanwhile I've been tearing down my 454 and planning its rebuild.  More details on the tear down to come, but I've also spent a lot of time recently doing research on compression ratios, static (SCR) & dynamic (DCR), to get ahead on the rebuild plans.  Great info out there, in particular...
There are online calculators for SCR & DCR (https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?main_page=calculators&type=comp&zenid=a1229b3d249362b8d9979e2002c74b87 is one example) but they require re-entering numbers into a webpage.  I got bored with that and wrote a spreadsheet that would give me SCR and DCR.  The DCR in the spreadsheet is based on the 'effective' or 'dynamic stroke' remaining using a cam's published intake valve closing point ABDC and some high school geometry/trig.  The sheet lets you change engine parameters and immediately see the effect on SCR and DCR.

When I started this whole restomod process, I would've never guessed that I would be whipping out some trig to figure out engine design!  Thankfully, as a former engineer and current high school physics teacher I'm pretty comfortable with the math and spreadsheets.  If you're interested in making your own spreadsheet, type in the setup you see in the pic below and then there are 4 equations to copy & paste into your sheet...

For engine CID in cell E3 of the sheet...
copy & paste... =((PI()*($B$3/2)^2*$B$1))*8

For dynamic stroke, that starts in B10...
copy & paste... =$B$1+$B$2-SQRT($B$2^2-(0.5*$B$1*SIN(RADIANS($A10))))-(0.5*$B$1-0.5*$B$1*COS(RADIANS($A10)))
then drag/extend it downwards to get the different values for intake valve closing points

For SCR, that starts in C10...
copy & paste... =((PI()*($B$3/2)^2*$B$1)/(($B$4*(1/2.54)^3)+(PI()*($B$5/2)^2*$B$6)+(PI()*($B$3/2)^2*$B$8)+($B$7*(1/2.54)^3)))+1

For DCR, that starts in D10...
copy & paste... =((PI()*($B$3/2)^2*$B10)/(($B$4*(1/2.54)^3)+(PI()*($B$5/2)^2*$B$6)+(PI()*($B$3/2)^2*$B$8)+($B$7*(1/2.54)^3)))+1
then drag/extend it downwards to get different answers at different intake valve closing points




Hope the spreadsheet helps someone out.  I'm using it as tool to help select an appropriate camshaft for my build.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment